Friday, November 1, 2013

Damn, Getting Old Sucks

My grandmother returned from DR on Tuesday. It's nice having her around but ever since my grandfather passed, she's starves for attention. The first week, she's usually happy, satisfied with her sleeping arrangements and verbal about living improvements (e.g running hot water, no blackouts) but then she starts feeling sick, or dizzy rather  and spends the majority of the day rocking her chair in the living room counting the hours with the programs on Univision. Don't mean to go on a tangent here but I swear, about 99% of people who watch Univision are either widowed,old and/or both. I don't understand why most of the women on Spanish programming dress in revealing  attire when the majority of their viewers don't even remember having a libido.  Seriously, the women are ridiculously attractive for no reason. Where the hell do they find them? Is there a town in Mexico that genetically breeds them for Novelas and news stations ? That being said, I refuse to watch Primer Impacto. Why? Because the last time I checked, I dont remember wanting any titis with my news.

Girl I know you have some fine apples, but how am I supposed to pay attention to this terror alert when your lovelies are screaming borders with their cleavage. Do me a favor and button up your shirt.

It's hard to look at my grandmother now and see her somewhat peaceful after last seeing her six months ago at my grandfathers memorial. I expected her to be super emotional but when the ceremony was over she starting yelling at my grandfathers picture, which was the centerpiece of the living room. She screamed at his smiling face saying how much she missed him, how he left her alone and now has no desire to live. She then turned to me and said, "Danessa , I'm alone in this world. I have no mother or father and now, no husband". My eyes were already swelling but at that point, the tears came down and I held her and told her it wasn't true.

If there is anything that I learned after losing both of my grandfather's (both sides) and grandmother (father's side)   in the same year, is that grandparents are like wisdom teeth; sometimes you're born with them, sometimes you're not but eventually, they have to come out. All at once or one at a time. 

I miss visiting my grandparents (father side) on the weekends. They had a one bedroom apartment in Spanish Harlem and my parents, sister and I would visit on Sundays, play Russian roulette with my grandmothers cooking and stayed until the 6 o clock news came on Univision. We didn't do much. I pretty much napped in my grandparents room or talked to my sister and laid on their bed until dinner was ready. 

My aunt is the only person living in the apartment now. I went to visit her recently and the apartment felt hollow even though the furniture hadn't move. 

No comments:

Post a Comment